Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Filipino Winter Vacation

{I always come to this point when writing a blog post about an indescribable experience. I just sit here and stare blankly at the white page and hope suddenly some form of inspiration hits me between the eyes. Usually I have to just get writing before anything like that happens though….so here goes….}

The morning of our big departure to Manila, Caris, Johnny, Adam, and I got up early and packed up everything. It was a beautiful day in Taipei- sunny, warm (mid-60’s), and breezy. We landed in Manila two hours later to find that even our jeans were too warm. Welcome to the Philippines and high-80 degree temperatures! Oh, I wish I could show you pictures of Caris and I’s faces, Kinmen is known for its gray skies, wind, and FREEZING temperatures in February. We found our Narnia. 

It took us seconds to discover how beautiful the Filipino people are. Everywhere we looked, we saw manly men, dainty women, dark skin, large brown eyes, and enormous smiles. We decided Filipinos win the overall Southeast Asian beauty contest.

The best part for me was seeing the demure side of Taiwanese culture replaced with an unabashed freedom of expression. Emotions were displayed everywhere. This Pentecostal-raised-Italian felt instantly at home.

~
“The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tents of the righteous; the right hand of the Lord does valiantly” (Psalm 118:15)

“As we rolled through past those mountain plains, past volcanic peaks, I couldn’t help but twitch with excitement. I couldn’t help but smile with joy. I could hardly breathe.” (1/28 journal entry)
~

Yet the purpose of our trip was Manila wasn’t to tour, enjoy the people, or culture. We had a much bigger mission in mind. You see, the last Swing Dance fundraiser that we had worked on in Kinmen, Taiwan this last fall benefitted my friend Naomi’s ministry, “Safe Refuge.” She works with a dear friend of hers, Ate Red, and rescues girls who have come out of the sex trafficking system and need a fresh start on life. It’s a beautiful ministry that touches many lives with the truth of the Gospel, and helps heal hearts desperately searching for love.

God had opened the doors for us to live with the Safe Refuge girls, get to know them, and encourage the ministry in Mandaluyong, Manila for the next two weeks. This was a huge opportunity- extremely exciting- yet overwhelmingly terrifying. Our influence on these women and girls’ lives had to come out of hearts one with the Holy Spirit. Any other type of human-based “ministry” could be more destructive than we could even begin to imagine.

So those first few days were spent just settling in, and building relationships with the girls. Caris and I found ourselves almost instantly welcomed into the “sisterhood” of the home, while Johnny and Adam found themselves carefully “watched” the first couple days. Remember, the majority of the pain these women have experienced in the past, was at the hands of men- usually foreign men. Therefore, understandably, during those first few days, the girls were kind to these “kuyas” (“big brothers” in Filipino), but were very, very careful around them.

~
“Orientation meeting today with Naomi, Ara and Daphne. Some of these girls’ stories shake you to the core. [I want my life to have the deep meaning the women in ministry here have.]” (1/29)

“Give us direction, Lord. Let me be flexible and willing to follow You.” (1/30)

“Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge, even the Most High, your dwelling place, no evil shall befall you, nor shall any plague come near your dwelling.” (Psalm 91:9-10)  (1/30)

“We moved three houses yesterday- Safe, Grace, and Ate Red’s house. We were out until 3:30am moving, then Caris, Adam, Johnny, and I went to 7-11 to get snacks before going to bed at 5am. Woke up at 2pm and vegged out, got Italian at Megamall, and was overcharged in taxi fare just because we were four tall, American white people. Fun stuff.” (2/1)

“Really peaceful day thus far…woke up. Did some of the girls’ makeup and hair. Picked lice out of one of the little one’s hair. Practiced for the worship session later on this afternoon.” (2/2)

“In church worship this morning, I cried and cried and cried at God’s healing power in the lives of the dancers and myself. Some of the girls from Safe were dancing as praise leaders. I was cut to the heart through the Holy Spirit and was overwhelmed with God’s MERCY and POWER! If He could completely turn them around; turn their mourning into dancing, I know He can do the same for me.” (2/3)

“*In your complete obedience to God, He will give lifetime victory.
“*We must learn to do God’s will God’s way.” (2/3 notes from church)

“Hold fast the pattern of sound works which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.” (2 Timothy 1:13)

“But know that the Lord has set apart for Himself him who is godly; the Lord will hear when I call to Him.” (Psalm 4:3)
~

Around this point in the trip, I felt like I was part of a family. I almost couldn’t remember a time I wasn’t living at Safe Refuge and was acquainted with these lovely faces. Praise God, the guys had won over the hearts of the residents by then; and were loved just as much as - if not, more than- us girls.

The focus of life at Safe is WORSHIP. Everyone was in different places and on different levels of surrender with the Lord, yet we all came before Him daily in an attitude of worship and allowed the Holy Spirit to meet us exactly where we were. A daily worship session, and continuous conversation about God’s presence, was a huge blessing and deeply healing for me as well.

{Isn’t it funny how God always blesses YOU when you set out to bless someone else?}

We put together a little trip to the Hundred Islands halfway through our time at Safe. So of course, the day before we left, I was promptly sick. {My body can be so annoying sometimes.} That day, I was overwhelmed by the love shown me by Naomi and the staff at Safe. Again, I felt like I was at home. The fruit of the Spirit was so evident in the way they cared for me. The next morning, in the spirit of my mother, I peeled myself out of my bed and went for it! Weak from the bug or not, I wasn’t going to miss out on the Hundred Islands. Haha, and it was totally worth it!

Five hours in the car, and lots of uncomfortable attempts to sleep later, we arrived at probably the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen on earth. After dropping our stuff off at the hotel, we all jumped in a boat and began our day of island hopping. We snorkeled and saw countless exotic forms of coral and tropical fish. We slept in the sand. We jumped from a ledge into a cave “lagoon” and swam back outside into the sunshine and coral reefs. We raced to see how many underwater giant clams we could touch before our ears almost popped from the pressure. We laughed so hard. That day was a dream.

And of course, God blessed us that evening with a breath-taking display of the Milky Way. My favorite.

Yet, as you know, our God moves in mysterious ways. Throughout the day, I was being prodded by the Holy Spirit to surrender another part of my heart. As I was paddling through the most beautiful underwater life forms I’d ever seen, I was in constant conversation with God. It was such unexpected timing. But so much like our God, right?

~
“For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another. But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior; that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” (Titus 3:3-7)  (2/6)

“Thank You God, that even in my rotten, rebellious state, YOU loved me first. Thank You for Your grace that continues to make my world turn.” (2/7)

“Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light and your justice as the noonday. Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him’ do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. Cease from anger and forsake wrath; do not fret- it only causes harm.” (Psalm 37:3-8)

“Mark the blameless man, and observe the upright; for the future of that man is peace. But the transgressors shall be destroyed together; the future of the wicked shall be cut off. But the salvation of the righteous is from the Lord; He is their strength in the time of trouble. And the Lord shall help them and deliver them; He shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in Him.” (Psalm 37:37-40)

“Lord, guide me and I will do my best to always act in obedience. I ask for Your great mercy when I fail. Your grace is enough to help me make it through. Whatever the outcome, I’d rather have You than anything else.” (2/9)

“For I have satiated [fed to satisfaction] the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul.” (Jeremiah 31:25)

“And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You. Deliver me from all my transgressions; do not make me the reproach of the foolish.” (Psalm 37:7-8)
~

We spent our last days with Safe teaching ballet class, self-defense class, visiting the Block 40 slum, swimming at the Daranak Falls, and saying our goodbyes. I was privileged to dance with the praise team at church on Sunday. It was so surreal leaving. Again, Taiwan seemed to be a far-away dream at that point.
I truly felt like a new person. God had renewed my spirit and called me back into His arms of mercy. We went to Manila dreaming of touching lives, but our Heavenly Father, in His mercy, had a much bigger plan.

So what did I take away from Manila? The remembrance that our God is POWERFUL, limitless, and overflowing with compassion for us. I take a shaky breath even now as I write this from Kinmen, Taiwan- our God is so amazing, and He’s the same wherever you are in the world. His presence is matchless. His Word is enough.


I hope to go back to visit my sisters soon<3




No comments:

Post a Comment