Monday, February 18, 2013

Recap on the Craziest Season Ever (December)

Wow. What a season. There seriously is so much to recap on- and it’s a wild thought to think that one whole semester is already finished, but I’m praising God and lifting my hands in complete thankfulness in this post. Let’s see if I can bring you up to speed:

First, two weeks before Christmas, we helped put together a huge Christmas event at the university. Each part of our team was involved with a different part of the ministry (again amazed with the perfect workings of the Body of Christ): Cami was in charge of cookie decorating, Caris set up a tree decorating game, Eunice led a craft table, Bethany ran a crazy marshmallow-eating game, and I was the Nativity skit director. After the general festivities and games, we got to share the Gospel and show the “#FallingPlates” video which shares about salvation in a really interesting way. The evening was ended with a huge caroling party. The prep work was well worth it.

The very next day, we went to BiShan village for another big Christmas party where we taught “Joy to the World” and made cookies with the kids. Because of the team’s ministry at the village for this last semester, the local people put together a little series of performances to thank us for coming and playing with their kids. To finish, we ended up caroling around the village~ singing “Joy to the World” and the chorus of “We Wish You a Merry Christmas” over…and over….and over again. J I wish I helped out with this ministry more this last semester- praying to have more time to help out this spring.

So as far as I was concerned, that weekend was DONE. We worked so hard and got very little rest that it was so nice to just chill all day Sunday- little did I know that the weekend wasn’t quite over yet. That evening, I was waiting in the dorm living room waiting for typical Sunday night Bible study to start, when my entire team came running in screaming like a team of banshees. They all jumped on me, covered my head with a bag, and then walked me out to the parking lot without even shoes on. I’m not quite sure what happened from there; but I do know I was pushed into a taxi, and then was “un-bagged” in an elevator heading up to my favorite restaurant in the center of town. Turns out this was their way of saying “Happy Birthday Christina!” We had a lovely (peaceful) dinner and then all piled back in the car and headed off for one more surprise: a fire on the beach! We roasted marshmallows, sang along with the guitar, and enjoyed each other’s company. I’m so blessed. That was one of my favorit-est birthdays ever. Praising God for my sisters here in Taiwan.

The very next weekend, our church put on a pretty huge Christmas outreach event at the local cultural center. People from all over Jingmen were there…a majority of the crowd being soldiers. The church choir sang, Karate masters performed, people shared their testimonies, and Megan and I danced ballet! We had a ton of fun with our “Mary Did You Know?” piece and changed some things up to fit the bigger stage in the cultural center. A little old lady in town even made us some beautiful white dresses as costumes. The next morning, we jumped on the ferry boat over to Small Jingmen and danced the same piece at their church’s Christmas event. Another one of those super busy but perfectly beautiful weekends~

After all those preceding Christmas festivities, we managed to have a very much family-oriented Christmas holiday with gift opening on Christmas Eve and a fancy sit-down dinner on Christmas day. We enjoyed the perfect weather Christmas day by climbing the TaiHu Mountain, and then passed out candy canes around town with the team later on in the week. It was a great time of sharing Christ’s love and the message of His redemption with the city we live in. Such a lovely Christmas season.

The Kinmen team then took an entire three days off- just teaching our normal classes and enjoying a somewhat normal schedule. Then Saturday morning, all of us jumped on a plane to Taipei for the weekend. We got to see the Hobbit movie, eat at T.G.I. Friday’s, and watch the Taipei 101 building’s New Year fireworks. I finally got to go up to the top of the 101 and see Taipei from the birds’ eye view.

The last big event on our list was the Passion Conference life link sessions. A good friend of ours gave us his 40” flat screen TV, so it was such a blessing to hook that up to our laptop and watch Francis Chan, John Piper, Louie Giglio, Beth Moore, and lots of other pastors teach from the Word of God. After our extremely busy holiday season, it was so nice to be just FED the Word of God. Since then, I have felt awakened spiritually and ready for this next semester. Ready for the semester to be filled with Christ.

So I’m sitting right now in PingXi King Car English Camps, and I’ve been totally enjoying this last hour of peace and quiet I’ve had to catch you all up on life here. At this camp, the children are really smart- and some of them have pretty stellar “higher than thou” attitudes. I was blessed with seven children fresh out of 4th grade, so I have extremely sweet children to work with and co-teachers that love the children very much. But other teachers have not been as lucky, so please keep us in your prayers as we seek to show love to those hard to love this week. ;)

Next week, Caris, Johnny, Adam, and I will be headed out to the Philippines to help out at Safe Refuge: a home for women and children who have been in terrible situations- like abuse or being trapped in human trafficking industry. Our past Swing Dance fundraiser in Jingmen supported this ministry, and the Lord really put them on our hearts as we prepared for our winter vacation, so here we go! We’ll be there for two weeks really just hanging out with the girls and helping out with anything around the home that they might need. I think the boys may be teaching a self-defense class, and I’m planning on teaching ballet workshops in the community. Praise God for such a huge opportunity to share His love. I’ve been looking forward to this trip for a while now. 

Praise God for everything He’s done in and through the Jingmen team this last semester! Don’t we serve a faithful God? Thank you all so much for praying- you never know what a simple prayer can do in the heavenly realm.

“For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds.” (2 Corinthians 10:4)


No comments:

Post a Comment